Friday, December 22, 2006

I want to go to my room

Several years ago we had a resident who ate like a bird. Her main wish was to be laying in bed covered with 3 or 4 blankets and even a afghan around her head.
As soon as we would get to the dinning room for a meal she would start saying in a meek and mild voice that was hard to hear..."take me to my room... take me to my room take me to my room.
Being the new kid at work I thought I will show them and get her to eat. Trying several attempts at getting her to eat and failing she continued with her"take me to my room".I finally decided if I at least get her to drink her milk I would have succeeded a little. So I placed the glass of milk in her hand and said,"as soon as the milk is gone you may go to your room". Now I am thinking there I've gotten her to drink the nurse will be pleased with me and I am showing them this new guy has it together.NOT!!!!!! This lady promptly took the glass I had placed in her hand and proceeded to pour the milk on the floor placing the empty glass on the table saying" Now take me to my room." The charge nurse seeing this said to her if you were my grandchild I would send you to your room. I quickly pointed out that was her wish. Laughing all I could do was take her to her room.
They always say kids and old people are a lot alike I am finding that to be very very true.

1 comment:

Beckyb said...

I love this story Brian - one of my favorites - you smarty, you!!