Monday, December 18, 2006

How I came to working in the nursing home

Maybe some of you wonder how I happened to come about working in a nursing home,let me tell you.
I had been working at my previous job for 18 1/2 years. The company had been sold and the new owners kept downsizing to save money. Every week rumors would be going around this is the week there is going to be a big meeting.That big meeting finally did happen. In April of 2002, I was told that in one week my job was no longer going to be there for me as well as my coworkers.I can not say it came as a surprise to us.I was actually relieved to finally know my fate at work.The not knowing was the worst.
In the back of my mind I always said maybe working in the nursing home would be good, after all I always enjoyed the elderly.However when push came to shove I felt I could not do that work.Friends kept saying you can do it Brian,you would be so good.God kept closing doors on other jobs but kept opening the doors to the nursing home.I however kept saying "No God this is not for me, you are wrong on this one."Well needless to say i decided to finally listen to God and follow his plan for me.
It has been a great 4 1/2 years at this job.I have learned to love these residents and always strive to treat them as I would want my parent to be treated by others.Some days however I am tested to the limit.But with prayers and God I know I can do it.It has shown be God truly does know what he is doing and we need to trust him always. I just keep thinking.. Not my will but thine be done.
Truer words could not be spoken.

3 comments:

Beckyb said...

You are good to them Brian - and I think it's special that you might be their last touch of kindness here on Earth - what an opportunity!

Steffie B. said...

You obviously have a gift. I don't even know you, and I can tell how kind and generous you are!

Joel said...

Yes you do have a gift buddy. Not everyone can do a job like that...I would know!