Saturday, March 22, 2008

Makes you think.

After reading a post from theghelertertwins.blogspot.com today it truly touched my heart and got me thinking.She was writing about an elderly man who was in a hurry to get to the nursing home to be with his wife.the man's wife has Alzheimer's disease, and has not known him for some time.He still wants to be with her because he said I still know her.
With my kind of work I see this often. A spouse who sits by their mates bed side daily reading to them,talking to them,maybe praying with them.
A recent admit to the nursing home where I work has touched my heart even more.Maybe because I've known the people for many many years and know what dear kind people they are.The wife has Alzheimer's disease and was being cared for by her husband in their home for some time.She recently fell and broke her hip.Sine the fall her Alzheimer's has gotten much worse and the need to put her into a nursing home was needed.When she first came she was confused but doing fairly well.She knew me, was walking,talking though quite confused she was OK.Very quickly that all changed,she became very very restless,up and down up and down up and down.She fell twice in 24 hours and was plain anxious.She was put in the hospital for some med adjustments and returned on Friday.She is now eating poorly and sleeps almost all the time.Her loving husband wants to be at her side all the time.I try to allow him as many choices as possible for her cares.I try to be an encourager.However the words fall short.what do you say to someone as you yourself do not have the words.In the back of my mind I feel she may not be on this earth much longer,however she may have a very very strong heart that keeps her here for years.I try to be an encourager to the husband,but how do you encourage when in your heart you feel her going home to her maker would be wonderful.
I often think we should come with an off switch in our body and when that time comes we can turn off that switch and be at peace.
I knew returning to this job would have it's ups and downs,but I forgot how hard it is to see someone you have known for years suffer with this horrible disease.I've forgotten how hard it is to say the right words.To not say something that will sound unkind or like I do not care.
I am very thankful for my faith and hope that God will always let the right words flow from my mouth.
I am thankful for our father who gave his son to die for my sins.To think of how he suffered so that we may be forgiven.
As I think of those nail pierced hands I shutter thinking of the pain he must have felt.All for us, you and me, that we may be forgiven.
May all of you have a blessed Easter.Praise God for he is good!!!!!!

A fun update.Today Easter Sunday shortly before I was going to finish my shift,I was in the room talking to the husband.I turned to his wife who had been very quiet most of the day and not responding much.In my very loud voice (yes I do have a big loud mouth) I said (name) your husband is here can you say hi?She wiped her face and said in a soft voice...YOU JUST SPIT ON ME!!!!!!!!Her husband and I laughed and he had a smile the size of Texas.He was so happy just to hear her respond as was I.Hey even the samll things are good.

4 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Amen, and what a great post!

day by day said...

So true. There are often those situations which are so hard to find the right words. I guess just being there may be the best we can offer.

Have a wonderful Easter, Mr. Brian!!

OH MY #6 said...

awesome post.

Lea

redmaryjanes said...

I read that post too and it really touched me heart.
Happy Easter to you Mr.Brian!